So you were touring Canada on your vacation from New Zealand and while there you developed an addiction to some of the shows on the local television network Global TV. Global TV is the second most popular television network in Canada but much of its programming is also popular in other parts of the world. You enjoyed your trip to Canada but now you are back home in New Zealand and you are bored with the local programming and you remember that there were some shows on Global TV that you really liked. You go online and to their website so you can catch up on those shows. You click on one of your favorites and you see this message “Sorry, playback is unavailable. This content can only be viewed within Canada.” Congratulations, you have just been introduced to geo-restriction, the media industries version of regional copyright. Don’t despair, contrary to what this message says, there is a way that you can still enjoy some of your favorite Global TV programs. One of the safest and best ways is by connecting to the Global TV service using a VPN. Below you will find some of the best VPNs that we think can not only do the job, but do it well.
|1||$4.87 60% Off||9.9 Read Review|
|2||$6.25 38% Off||9.8 Read Review|
|3||$8.32 35% Off||9.7 Read Review|
|4||$6.25 25% Off||9.6 Read Review|
|5||$3.33 52% Off||9.5 Read Review|
Overcoming the Regional Restriction on Global TV Streaming
As we previously mentioned, the best way to enjoy all of your favorite Global TV shows (just like our friend from New Zealand) if your are not in Canada is to connect using a personal VPN service like those we have listed above. One of the things that a VPN does to help make you more anonymous on the Internet is to mask your true IP address from others. It also assigns you an IP address at the location of the VPN server that you are connecting through. This allows you to virtually appear anywhere in the world as long as the provider has a server located there. This means you can connect to the Global TV Network as long as your chosen service has a server located in Canada. Once you connect through this VPN server, you will be able to access all of the Canadian programming as if you were sitting on your living room sofa in Montreal. Additionally since the VPN encrypts all of your Internet traffic, it will keep all of your online communications confidential and safe from third-party interference.
Global TV Programming
Global TV offers a variety of programming. It has original shows, as well as, popular series from other television networks in the US. Among the shows currently (2015-2016) playing this season are:
- Supergirl –
- Rating – TV.com 8.4/10; iMDB 8.5/10
- Cast – Melissa Benoist … Kara Danvers, Mehcad Brooks … James Olsen, Chyler Leigh … Alex Danvers , Jeremy Jordan … Winn Schott, Calista Flockhart … Cat Grant, David Harewood … Hank Henshaw
- Time – January 4, 8 ET/PT
Watch full-length episodes of Supergirl for 7 days after the original broadcast without sign-in. Sign in to catch up on more available episodes.
- Summary: Supergirl is a new hit. It is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El, Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El but her journey to earth was delayed because she was thrown into the phantom zone when Krypton exploded and spent time in suspended animation before reaching earth. Kara grew up as a member of the Danvers family along with her foster sister Alex. Initially, she kept her superpowers secret but had to reveal them to save others. Now, years later at 24, Kara is finally embracing her superhuman abilities to help humankind just like her older cousin Superman. She lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant. She works alongside her friend and IT technician Winn Schott and famous photographer James Olsen who used to work with Superman at the Daily Planet. He is now the new art director for Cat Grant at CatCo Media. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw, head of a super-secret agency, Department of Extra-Normal Operations (DEO) enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Although Kara has agreed to help them, she is inept as she starts her road to super-heroine, although she is saving lives. Superman had similar growing pains as he learned to control his own powers. Kara will have to learn to better control her powers, her emotional relationships with others, and become National City’s heroine on call. Tune in and see how she’s coping with it all.
- Rating – TV.com 8.4/10; iMDB 8/10
- Cast – Jake McDorman … Brian Finch, Jennifer Carpenter … Agent Rebecca Harris, Hill Harper … Spellman Boyle, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio … Nasreen ‘Naz’ Pouran
- Time – Available online: Wednesdays
Watch full-length episodes of Limitless for 7 days after the original broadcast without sign-in. Sign in to catch up on season 1 from the start.
- Summary – Limitless is based on the 2011 film starring Bradley Cooper, who reprises his role as a guest star in the pilot and serves as an Executive Producer. It follows Brian Finch who is palyed by Jake McDorman (American Sniper) as he discovers the brain-boosting power of mysterious drug, NZT and is coerced by the FBI into using his extraordinary cognitive abilities to solve their most perplexing cases.
- Heroes: Reborn – a reboot of the immensely popular Heroes series,
- Rating – TV.com 8.4/10; iMDB 8/10
- Cast – Jack Coleman (Heroes) … Noah Bennet, Zachary Levi … Luke Collins, Judith Shekoni … Joanne Collins, Robbie Kay … Tommy Clark, Gatlin Green … Emily Duval, Kiki Sukezane … Miko Otomo
- Time – Returns January 7 8 ET/PT Available online: Fridays
Full episodes of Heroes Reborn are available without sign in for 7 days following their initial on air broadcast. Sign in to catch up on season 1 from the start.
- Summary – A year ago, a terrorist attack in Odessa, Texas left the city decimated. Blamed for the tragic event, those with extraordinary abilities have gone into hiding or on the run from those with nefarious motives. Two such vigilantes include Luke (Zachary Levi, Chuck) and Joanne (Judith Shekoni, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn), who are pursuing those with special abilities seeking to avenge a tragic loss. Some are finding new abilities. Like Tommy (Once Upon a Time) who just wants to be normal and win the girl of his dreams, Emily (Criminal Minds). However, normality seems unlikely as his new ability terrifies him. Malina (Danika Yarosh, Shameless), has been told she is destined for greatness. In Tokyo, Miko (Kiki Sukezane, Death Yankee 3), is trying to track down her missing father while hiding an extraordinary secret that will make her a force to be reckoned with. Meanwhile, a new type of hero is emerging through former soldier Carlos (Ryan Guzman, The Boy Next Door). Erica (Rya Kihlstedt, Masters of Sex), the head of the highly successful tech conglomerate, Renautas has an agenda of her own. For better or for worse, some are fated to cross paths with many heroes of the past, including Hiro Nakamura (Masi Oka), Matt Parkman (Greg Grunberg), Mohinder Suresh (Sendhil Ramamurthy) and the Haitian (Jimmy Jean-Louis), among others. Through it all, can they survive and face their ultimate destiny? Will they save the world or lead to its destruction?
- Chicago Med –
- Rating – TV.com 8.2/10; iMDB 7.8/10
- Cast – Nick Gehlfuss … Dr. Will Halstead , Yaya DaCosta … April Sexton
Torrey DeVitto … Dr. Natalie Manning , Rachel DiPillo … Dr. Sarah Reese
Colin Donnell … Dr. Connor Rhodes, Brian Tee … Dr. Ethan Choi
- Time – Tuesday January 5, 7 ET/PT Available online: Wednesdays
Full episodes of Chicago Med are available without sign-in for 7 days following their initial on-air broadcast
- Summary – This is the third installment in the Chicago franchise of series by Emmy award winning executive producer Dick Wolf which includes Chicago Fire (Rating: iMDB 7.9/10) and Chicago PD (Rating: iMDB 8.1/10). It revolves around the day-to day operations of the emergency department of one of city’s most explosive hospitals. Chicago Med follows the lives and and experiences of the doctors and staff that work there. Story-lines provide realistic looks at some of the unique cases that they face daily along with current key social topics faced by hospital and staff. Those familiar with the other Chicago series in the franchise, will notice the interaction of characters with the new Chicago Med series.
- Angel From Hell –
- Rating -not yet premiered
- Cast – Maggie Lawson … Allison, Kyle Bornheimer … Brad,
Jane Lynch … Amy
- Time – Series premieres January 8 at 8 ET/PT
Watch full-length episodes of Angel From Hell for 7 days after the original broadcast, without sign-in.
- Summary – This is a comedy about an unconventional angel who is on her last chance. Allison is a career driven dermatologist who is meets Amy. Amy tells Allison that she is her “guardian angel” but she thinks she is just a crazy woman until things that she says start happening. Amy is not your stereotypical angel type as she drinks, curses, and frequents bars. Eventually Allison agrees to this weird relationship because she realizes that Amy may be just the friend that her life needs.
- Shades of Blue –
- Rating -not yet premiered
- Cast – Jennifer Lopez … Harlee Santos, Warren Kole … Robert Stahl
Dayo Okeniyi … Michael Loman, Ray Liotta … Matt Wozniak
- Time – Series premieres January 8 at 8 ET/PT
Watch full-length episodes of Shades of Blue for 7 days after the original broadcast, without sign-in.
- Summary – Harlee Santos (Jennifer Lopez) plays a detective that is a single mother of a close group of Brooklyn detectives who don’t always go by the book. Their group, led by Matt Wozniak often steps outside the law to protect their own. The FBI catches Harlee in one of these illegal acts and coerces her into becoming an informant against her own unit. As a newly turned informant, she struggles to safeguard her on-the-job family of detectives while avoiding arrest in order to stay with her daughter. Harlee engages in a cat-and-mouse dance with her FBI handler, Special Agent Stahl (Warren Kole). Meanwhile Wozniak, taking it upon himself, begins an all-consuming hunt for the informant. Tune in to see if the crew can carry out their brand of street justice under the watchful eye of the FBI.
- Elementary –
- Rating – TV.com 8.4/10; iMDB 7.9/10
- Cast – Jonny Lee Miller … Sherlock Holmes, Lucy Liu … Dr. Joan Watson
Aidan Quinn … Captain Thomas Gregson
- Time – January 6, 8 ET/PT
Available online: Fridays
Full episodes of Elementary are available without sign in for 7 days following their initial on air broadcast.
- Summary – The series Elementary is based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes detective stories with a few new twists. It not only follows Holmes on his newest cases by also looks at his demons and addictions and how they will affect him and Joan. The show also takes a look at modern social topics and has won the Prism Award (episode on substance abuse) and GLAAD award (episode – Snow Angels).
In addition to the above shows, the Global TV (2015-2016) lineup also includes Truth Be Told (a outrageous new comedy about two outspoken couples with almost no topic out of bounds), The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, and a variety of movies. It also has many old favorites like The Blacklist, the NCIS franchise, Madame Secretary, Hawaii Five-0, The Good Wife, Bones, and many others. Many of Global TV offerings, like those shown above, are available online one or two days after air and can be viewed for seven days without requiring any other subscription.
Those who have a subscription from one of the local Canadian cable companies can sign in to enjoy more episodes of many of their favorites. Using a VPN service to connect to Global TV will allow these subscription holders to watch their favorite content while vacationing elsewhere in the world. All those who use a personal VPN service, both in Canada and outside of it, will also be able to use any of the services that we recommend to access popular streaming providers like Netflix (US), BBC iPlayer, and others, from anywhere in the world.
Other Characteristics to Choosing a Personal VPN Service
- Does the service have a good reputation in the industry?
- Do they have a worldwide presence? US? UK? Europe? Asia? South America? Africa? Others? This will ensure that you have access to other streaming services and live events that you may want to watch.
- What is their attitude toward P2P traffic?
- A no-log policy regarding VPN usage is best.
- Does it do everything that you need it to do?
- How stable are the service connections from where you need access?
- Do they offer unlimited data download?
- Can the service be used with all the devices that you want to use it with?
- Can you connect using more that one device at the same time.
- Does it support at least the three main encryption protocols: OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, and PPTP?
- How easy is it for you to actually use the VPN service?
- Can you afford it?
- What other features do they offer, more protocols, encryption strengths, ciphers, kill switches, DNS leak protection, and others.
We examined all of these characteristics when choosing the services in our best VPNs for Canada list. Remember to check your chosen service with all of the applications that you might need to run with it to make sure they are compatible. Also be sure to test the VPN in different locations to be sure that you will be happy with its performance, no matter where you access it from.
A personal VPN service will help you to be more anonymous in your daily Internet activities. Using one will help to guard your identity by ensuring that all of your Web traffic is encrypted using some of the most robust protocols and ciphers available today. A VPN can also let you virtually set your location to anywhere in the world. This is what allows you to watch your favorite Global TV programs from anywhere in the world while on holiday from Canada if you have a subscription. Also, most series are placed online a day or two after airing and remain available to watch without any type of subscription for seven days. Thus those of you who do not live in Canada or who may be expats from Canada can use a VPN to watch many of their favorite Global shows, as well as, some original programming.
The VPNs that we recommend will help you watch all of your favorite Global TV programs, while providing excellent performance at a good price. They believe that once you try out their service, you will subscribe to it. Thus, they have money-back guarantees. Select the one whose features suit your individual usage best and thoroughly test it for yourself.